used to be a Sewing Blog – Now KDrama

Archive for July, 2015

Doctor Who Quiz NoteBook

This is my first paper craft how-to kinda. Please excuse the poor quality photos and please learn from my mistakes.

I bought something I’ve been wanting for awhile: a wire binder. Mine is called the Zutter Bind-it-All.

IMG_0700

I did a quick play with it and my first “notebook” was very bad (I think I know how to use it now). but this is my first real project. I have the Official Doctor Who Quiz Book. I’ve had it for a while, but I never really did anything cause I didn’t want to mark in it. I had decided to buy a blue notebook to put my answers in, but when I got the Bind-It-All, I decided to do one better. I made a custom notebook for it. Not only is the cover custom, but so is the content. I scanned in the table of contents, and OCRed it to extract the titles of the quizzes.

I had to clean up the OCR, and since I was in a hurry, I didn’t do that great. (missed a few misspellings).

Then in Word, I formatted it so the title of each Quiz was at the top of the page, and each page had 15 lines. I had originally formatted it in Word (during lunch break)  for an 8.5×11 page, but when I got home I changed it to 5.5×8.5 in OpenOffice. I didn’t bother with too much reformatting so the quiz titles bounce around a little (e.g, they don’t all line up the same because of the titles of the sections etc). Here is a sample page.

IMG_0698

 

If I thought about it, I would have originally formatted in Word for the smaller paper, and also forced pagination where I wanted it, so there would be no “bouncing.”  I was in a hurry, so it’s not perfect, but it’s OK.   I wanted a title page, so I did this. It’s boring as all get out, but it’s OK.  I also punched all the pages.

IMG_0699

 

But the fun part is the covers:

This is Tennant’s TARDIS, because 10 is my Doctor. 😀

I think I’m most proud of the inside covers, it is the rondels. It took me about 3 hours in photoshop to make this.  My first print out was too pink, so I adjusted it to this which I think is pretty perfect. I decided to keep my pinkey cover for the back (more on that later) because I didn’t want to waste the paper & ink.
Tardis-Inside-Paper

I had originally intended to make the TARDIS outside covers out of craft paper (and then construction paper when I couldn’t find “Bluest Blue” craft paper), but I realized I’m nowhere near crafty enough for that.  I had created a TARDIS binder cover years ago, but I couldn’t find the PSD file. (that was several computers and hard drive crashes ago). I was going to recreate it (I was so dreading it) when I found this: someone had created a TARDIS PSD for other fans.

I only have Photoshop Elements, so I can’t tell you how fully how cool it is but it is very very cool. I flattened it, cropped it, covered the St. john’s ambulance seal because it wasn’t on Tennant’s TARDIS (and the lock – just cause), added a blue background and ended up with this.

TARDIS-REDO

Because I’m inept at anything crafty, I also bought lots of gadgets for this project. the key piece (other then the BIA) was a Xyron Creative Station to turn the paper for the covers into a giant sticker.  (I knew I’d make a mess with glue.) I was going to make the back first so I could mess up a little.

I had already cut the chipboard into cover size pieces, I also cut down the covers pieces and sent them through the Xyron. (I don’t have pictures of this because I was having difficulty with the machine)

I had previously marked on the white side of the paper where the TARDIS was so I could line it up perfectly. I then removed the protective cover from the adhesive, carefully placed it down. then I folded down the corners and all four sides. I should have clipped the corners but I forgot so the corners are bulkier then I had wanted.

IMG_0704IMG_0705IMG_0701

 

Now for the inside cover,  I carefully placed my oops rondel paper and smoothed it. IMG_0703

Then I went to punch it. Oops, I had punched it the wrong way so it was going to have to be the front cover. 😦 (Remember place front towards the handle)

I repeated the steps for the back cover and then I made my big problem. I had decided to modpodge it for protection. I had never used modpodge except for a quick test to see which one I wanted to use (I got a sampler). Because my printer is an inkjet, the ink ran some. and in a few places, it even came off. I decided it was almost OK because it looked like it came through a time war. 🙂

IMG_0707

I did a better job on the inside covers because I was learning as I went. and the backs are more forgiving.

IMG_0709

Now to Bind it. I remembered to place the back cover on the front to make it look nicer. (I got white rings on sale (100 for $17 – so I’ll be using them a lot)

IMG_0710

 

IMG_0713 (after I took this photo, I remembered to start on the end, and to go quickly.)

This is so cool. I think it came out pretty great. (other then the modpodge failure). But next time, I think I’ll pay to have it printed on a laser printer instead of my little inkjet.

IMG_0715

IMG_0718